eBooks purchased from Monthly Review Press come in the following two formats:
- EPUB (.epub extension). This is a universal file that can be converted into any format.
- Mobipocket (.prc extension; also called Mobi). This can be used on Amazon Kindle Readers
It is no longer necessary to decompress any files when purchasing an eBook from the Monthly Review website. After completing your purchase you will get immediate access to two separate download links (one for each eBook file type), which should allow you to open either the ePub or Mobi file directly from your reading device, and import it into your library.
eBook Software, Conversion and Transfer
Most e-readers will recognize the EPUB file format. If you need to convert to a different format (other than for Amazon Kindle), we recommend using Calibre, which is available on both Macs and PCs.
We recommend Calibre for transferring EPUB and Mobi files to your tablet device. Calibre has excellent support for all available tablet devices.
Transferring to Apple Devices
Mac users can simply add EPUB files to the program iBooks (included with OS X). Make sure to change your sync settings in iTunes so that eBook files are transferred to your device when backing up/syncing.
- Read here on how to set up eBook syncing in OS X between your computer and iPad.
- Read here for instructions on transfer Mobi files to the Kindle App for iPad using iTunes.
Transferring to Kindle Devices
Read an eBook on your computer
If would like to read an eBook on your computer follow these instructions.
iBooks (OS X only)
- Locate the file(s) you downloaded from the receipt page of your Monthly Review Press order.
- Find the file with the “.epub” extension.
- Double-click and the iBooks will open automatically.
Kindle Desktop Software
- Download and install the Kindle Desktop Software (available for Mac or PC)
- Install the software and open the new Kindle Desktop Application
- Locate the file(s) you downloaded from the receipt page of your Monthly Review Press order. Find the file with the “.prc” extension.
- Open the newly installed Kindle Desktop Software and sign-in to your Amazon account.
- For PC users: Double-click the file with the “.prc” extension.
- For Mac users: Drag the file with the “.prc” extension onto the Kindle Desktop Software icon in your Dock.
- The eBook will load in the Kindle Desktop Software. However, it will not load on your Kindle tablet device. Use send Send to Kindle instead.