Socialist Register 2004: The New Imperial Challenge
Paperback, 304 pages
Released: November 2003
There is no MR Associate Discount on Socialist Register titles.
Edited by Leo Panitch and Colin Leys
For forty years, the annual Socialist Register has brought together leading writers on the left to investigate aspects of a common theme. Contributors to this volume consider what imperialism means in the new century by examining the U.S.-led imperialist project currently transforming relations of global power.
The essays in this fortieth volume of the Socialist Register analyze the unique nature of the new U.S. empire and challenge the left to develop a better theory of imperialism and its relation to globalized capitalism. Other essays examine the limits and contradictions of “Americanization” as a dimension of U.S. global power; the facts and myths surrounding U.S. strategic interests in Iraq and the “war on terror” ecological imperialism, and the significance of international migration in the new imperial order.
I know the Register very well and have found it extremely stimulating, often invaluable.
The Socialist Register has been the intellectual lodestar for the international left since 1965.
- Leo Panitch and Sam Gindin, Global Capitalism and American Empire
- Aijaz Ahmad, Imperialism of Our Time
- David Harvey, The “New” Imperialism: Accumulation by Dispossession
- Gregory Albo, The Old and New Economics of Imperialism
- Noam Chomsky, Truths and Myths about the Invasion of Iraq
- Amy Bartholomew and Jennifer Breakspear, Human Rights as Swords of Empire
- Paul Rogers, The U.S. Military Posture: A Uniquely Benign Imperialism?
- Michael T. Klare, Blood for Oil: The Bush-Cheney Energy Strategy
- John Bellamy Foster and Brett Clark, Ecological Imperialism: The Curse of Capitalism
- Tina Wallace, NGO Dilemmas: Trojan Horses for Global Neoliberalism?
- John S. Saul, Globalization, Imperialism, Development: False Binaries and Radical Resolutions
- Emad El-Din Aysha, The Limits and Contradictions of “Americanization”
- Bob Sutcliffe, Crossing Borders in the New Imperialism
Leo Panitch is professor of political science at York University in Toronto. Colin Leys was for many years professor of political science at Queen’s University in Canada.
Publication Date: December 2003
Number of Pages: 308
Paperback ISBN: 9781583670996
Monthly Review Volume 2, Number 6 (October 1950) [PDF]$10.00 Add to cart
Monthly Review Volume 2, Number 3 (July 1950) [PDF]$10.00 Add to cart
Monthly Review Volume 2, Number 2 (June 1950) [PDF]$10.00 Add to cart
Monthly Review Volume 1, Number 8 (December 1949) [PDF]$10.00 Add to cart
Monthly Review Volume 1, Number 2 (June 1949) [PDF]$10.00 Add to cart
Imperialism and World Economy$15.00 Select options