Socialist Register 2016: The Politics of the Right
$25.00 – $29.00
This fifty-second edition of the Socialist Register explores right-wing political forces and parties around the globe, bringing to bear the Register’s reputation for detailed scholarship and passionate engagement on some of the most troubling developments in world politics today. Contributors examine mobilizations of the right in a variety of countries by analyzing their social bases, their relationships with state institutions, and the reach of their influence on mainstream parties and opinion. This volume also addresses the historical transition from right-wing nationalism to ethnicism, the question of resurgent fascism, and how left parties should respond to challenges from the far right.
Table of Contents
- Leo Panitch & Gregory Albo, “Preface”
- Liz Fekete, “Neoliberalism and popular racism: the shifting shape of the European right”
- Richard Seymour, “Ukip and the crisis of Britain”
- Michael Löwy & Francis Sitel, “The far right in France: the Front National in European perspective”
- Walter Baier, “Europe at the crossroads: right populism and reactionary rebellion”
- Geoff Eley, “Fascism then and now”
- G.M. Tamás, “Ethnicism after nationalism: the roots of the new European right”
- Richard Saull, “Capitalism and the politics of the far right”
- Alexander Buzgalin & Andrey Kolganov, “Russia and Ukraine: oligarchic capitalism, conservative statism & right nationalism”
- Aijaz Ahmad, “India: liberal democracy and the extreme right”
- David Moore, “An arc of authoritarianism in Africa: toward the end of a liberal democratic dream?”
- Alfredo Saad-Filho & Armando Boito, “Brazil: the failure of the PT and the rise of the new right”
- Gavan McCormack, “Chauvinist nationalism in Japan’s schizophrenic state”
- Avishai Ehrlich, “Israel’s hegemonic right”
- Doug Henwood, “The American right: from margins to mainstream”
- Bill Fletcher Jr., “’Stars and Bars’: understanding right-wing populism in the USA”
- Stefan Kipfer & Parastou Saberi, “The times and spaces of right populism: from Paris to Toronto”
- Lesley Wood, “Policing with impunity”
- Reg Whitaker, “The surveillance state”
- Andreas Karitzis, “The dilemmas and potentials of the left: learning from Syriza”
The Socialist Register has been the intellectual lodestar for the international left since 1964.
I know the Register very well and have found it extremely stimulating, often invaluable.
Compulsory reading for people who refuse to be resigned to the idea that there can be no alternative to our unacceptable society.
Comprised of nineteen deftly crafted, informed and informative contributions. The result is a work of seminal scholarship and a very highly recommended addition to academic library.
—Michael J. Carson, The Midwest Book Review
Leo Panitch and Greg Albo are Professors in the Department of Political Science at York University, Toronto.
Publication Date: November 2015
Number of Pages: 382
eBook ISBN: 9781583675755
Paperback ISBN: 9781583675748
Build It Now: Socialism for the 21st Century$13.00 – $14.95 Select options
The Great Financial Crisis: Causes and Consequences$9.95 – $12.95 Select options
Eurocentrism: Modernity, Religion, and Democracy: A Critique of Eurocentrism and Culturalism$15.26 – $17.95 Select options
Biology Under the Influence: Dialectical Essays on Ecology, Agriculture, and Health$24.65 – $89.00 Select options